Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Endurance

Yesterday I began my journey of running. Yeah, that kind of torture that you do when you walk fast. I'm fairly certain that during the Spanish Inquisition, they made people run as a form of torture. Anyways, talking about torture isn't the purpose today. Endurance is.

I've never been an endurance kind of runner. Sprinter, yes. I've got a collection of medals and ribbons from school when I sprinted. That's another reason why I was one helluva Goalie in soccer. However, I never had endurance to run more than a few miles without feeling like I was going to die. I've realized that endurance spans across more than just physical boundaries too. I would like to think I have good mental and emotional endurance. I've always been the shoulder for someone to lean on or cry on when they needed it.

A couple days ago, I watched the series finale of Little People Big World on TLC. I've watched this show since it started. I was amazed to see this man (Matt Roloff) who is literally half my size, take on the world and become a successful businessman. He took a ranch with nothing on it to an attraction in Oregon. I was equally amazed to see his wife Amy fearlessly take on the world and take hurdles in stride. I remember an episode where she was grocery shopping and the item she needed was on the top shelf. She didn't go ask for help... She CLIMBED the racks to get what she wanted. I remember thinking to myself "That woman is awesome!" I have looked up to her ever since.

So yesterday, I knew I wasn't going to be able to run a marathon, but I knew I would be able to run some kind of distance. well, within less than a quarter mile, I was certain that I was on the verge of death. I was about to send up the smoke signal, call 911, confirm my last will and testament, and die on the side of the road. But then, I realized that's now what the Roloffs would do. I kept pushing on. I didn't run a mile in 4 minutes... It took me 14 minutes to run 1.1 miles. but hey, it's a start.

And then last night, I was watching The Biggest Loser (yes, I know, I watch too much TV. I'm working on it!) I saw a woman who was once 260+lbs run a marathon in less than 5 hours. I watched two men both who were oncer over 300 lbs run it. So now, I know I can do it! Today, one and a half miles down. Yes, it will be a long struggle to get back into shape and prepare for a half marathon and even a full marathon. But I will do it.

so stay tuned, I plan on writing with more frequency as I run. I will probably start taking pictures of the places that I run and maybe take some videos while I'm out there. I will most likely be a heaping ball of sweat, but hey, it will be honest. Yes, I will expand my endurance to 26.2 miles and see if I manage not to die along the way!

And if there are any runners out there with advice, PLEASE, share it! I am gunna need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment