Sunday, May 29, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

This time of year is often a somber day for me. It's filled with a plethora of emotions; pride, joy, sorrow, happiness, camaraderie, thankful, grateful. Sadly, it's also one of the days that tends to rub me wrong in some of the worst ways. I am reminded that I spent 4 years of my life away from friends, family, and familiar parts of Northern California in order for others to be blissfully ignorant of how good they really have it.

So what prompted me to write today? those same people who are blissfully ignorant of what has been sacrificed for their ability to party hard on Memorial Day. See, I had to run to Walmart earlier today and while I was there, I heard 5 different conversations. All of which included "Man, we are going to be so F*&^ing wasted tomorrow!". All the while PRAYING that I would hear one of them say "Just remember, we get to party because there are men and women who have given their lives for our right to have fun". Alas, I heard no such thing.

I have to be honest, I wanted to go slap the shit out of them and teach them a little bit about respect. They reminded me of the disrespectful punks who keep talking during the National Anthem, or who refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance, or who refuse to remove their hat or cover their heart while the Pledge or the National Anthem are being performed.

The other thing that chaps my ass is when I hear about celebrities condemning our troops fighting a war half way around the world. They are a different kind of beast of which have a special place reserved in hell... along with attorneys. But then, there is a glimmer of hope in the video below that helps me realize that there are great musicians who care about our troops and do what they can to support them. Gene Simmons, You sir are awesome! Enjoy the video!



After you watched this, please take one moment to just say a simple prayer or take a moment of silence to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our right to be a free country. God Bless America!!!

2 comments:

  1. Every time I hear our national anthem I tear up, when I say the pledge of allegiance I do not hesitate before "Under GOD," when I remember the time I met Clebe McCleary I feel stronger, when I think of the day a Marine recruiter showed up at my door, my son Greg @ 17 and wanted to join the Marines, I remember I am free because of MANY others. The families of those "others" have felt something I never have. The true connection I have with them is the greatest feeling everyone should have. I am an American and not just because I was born on her soil. (Not sure if I spelled Clebe correctly) US Marine, HERO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark! Thanks for stopping by!

    I agree I am the same way. I tear up during the National Anthem, Pledge of Allegiance, Proud to be an American, and God Bless America.

    It was and always will be an honor to have served for the Worlds greatest Navy, and the worlds greatest military.

    I love my son to death and I am excited and scared at the same moment for the day (if it happens) when he wants to enlist.

    Have a great weekend Mark!

    ReplyDelete